August 06, 2008

DIY Before and After-Tree Lawn Rescue!

I spotted this bench a month ago while driving down my street. It was just hanging out on someone's tree lawn waiting to be thrown out. I hopped out of the car to take a closer look. It was part of a kitchen sectional that included a larger size bench and a pie shaped connector piece. The dingy, brown, oil cloth upholstery and goldenrod paint lead me to believe it had been born in the seventies. I inspected the piece to make sure it was worth saving. The back piece and seat were stapled to a sturdy wood base that easily attached to a metal frame. There was no sign of significant rusting or decay. It passed inspection so I snatch it up and drove it back to my house.

One weekend and less than $30 later....

Before
Brown Bench Before

After

Brown Bench After

Ta-Da! The lovely addition to my new apartment.

Categories: art, DIY


13 comments:

kim* said...

whoa this is awesome!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stela said...

Gorgeous chair!!!
You did such an amazing job!

Rachel said...

What a transformation! I love the fabric you chose.

GreenSpaceGoods said...

Really nice work! I love the sketchbook below too :) Enjoy settling into your new place!

Anonymous said...

That is great! I call it "street shopping" haha - I too have found tons of stuff to recreate - great blog!

Check out mine sometime too!

Joey :)

Dressed Up Digger said...

I need to be more brave! I often see some finds that people are chucking away but i never go for a look!

you've done a great job with this, it looks fab!

s.x

Anonymous said...

Nice job! That looks really good.

Anonymous said...

What a transformation...Love the fabric

Belinha Fernandes said...

Great work!

Martha Hughes said...

What a great job. I like the fabric you chose and how it's so formal and the legs are so modern.

Great job!

Justine said...

really love this. fabric is beautiful. i'd like to see more of your DIY makes in your apartment!

Bocci said...

Wow-that's an impressive "before and after"!

Thanks for spotlighting Bocci's Beefs:-) I added your blog to my blogroll...